#1: Picking the Skill

For my Free Inquiry project I have decided to embark on something I have never done before and try to be original! Instead of choosing a skill that I needed to learn (like driving stick shift) or something that I sort of already knew how to do and fine tuning it, I decided to listen to the adventurous side of myself and commit to learning a brand-new skill. So, for the next 8 weeks I will be hitting some things with wooden sticks and hoping by the will of God that some sort of musical arrangement comes from it. Basically, I’m going to learn to play the drums. But not just your regular old drum set in your dad’s gross garage, no – because I live in an apartment and don’t want to be evicted – I’ve got a tabletop synthetic drum set that allows you to record what you’ve played and to be perfectly silent whilst doing so! 

I also plan not only to learn just We Will Rock You and call it a day, over the next month and a half I plan to learn five different songs. The reason why I’ve decided on learning 5 is mostly because I found this guy on YouTube who teaches beginners to play the drums and had a video where he teaches you 5 songs in 10 days (Link to his video is at the bottom if you also wanna check him out)! So that’s pretty cool. But for both the reasons of lack of time in my weeks and the purpose of this inquiry project, I’m going to extend those 10 days to 56 days (minus the weekends) and hopefully be able to actually play all 5 songs – that’s how I’ll know I succeeded I guess; however, I do also think that just being able to keep a beat and have fun doing it is also success 😊  

I’ve ordered my brand-new drum kit, which is scheduled to arrive on Sept 23, so once I have that all set up and ready to rock (yep, I hate myself for that one too) then I’m hoping to set a flexible schedule of drumming about twice a week for maybe a couple hours. This could totally change because, life, but according to my calculations, I should be able to learn 5 songs over 56 days by committing myself to 2 hours twice a week. Those are the plans thus far!! We’ll see how it goes 😊  

5 Fun/Easy Songs For Drums In 10 Days 

Add yours

1. Hi, this is a comment.
    To get started with moderating, editing, and deleting comments, please visit the Comments screen in the dashboard.
    Commenter avatars come from Gravatar.

2. This is such an awesome learning journey to take! I also love the name “Zu makin’ a beat”. I love the humour in this post, and reading it was super engaging and had me smiling the whole time! I am really excited to see your progress and see how you learn and what you learn along the way! Is there any reason why you specifically picked the drums? and do you know anyone that plays the drums, or are you just learning using online resources? I look forward to reading your future posts!

• Yay I’m so glad someone enjoys reading these because I really enjoy making them (and laughing at my own jokes)!!
      I honestly just picked the drums cause I’ve always wanted to try it and have that super irrational thought process where if I see someone else do it I’m like “I could totally do that first try without any prior practice” 😆 Soooooo here we are!
      And other than my one friend, and now Brayden cause I was reading his blog posts, I don’t know anyone else who plays the drums! So I’m relying on the internet to make me a professional 👍🏽

3. omg, okay i’m excited to dive into your blog/drum journey! My dad tried, and failed, to teach me how to play the drums when I was a teenager.. it was a lot harder than it looked! or maybe i’m just uncoordinated? Either way, I’m excited to see how it goes for you.